Yes, you read that right. If you are reading this and you aren’t from the South, you are probably thinking, “Ewwww, why would someone fry a pickle????” Well, we here in the South fry all manor of things, but fried pickles are the BEST. We even have a restaurant near here called the Fickle Pickle that is famous for their fried pickles. These are pretty much as good as those. The sauce recipe comes from another restaurant called Smokejack that also has awesome fried pickles with a spicy sauce. I have made that recipe before, but it is a bit more involved than these and I think these are just as good. So, if you are having friends over and are feeling adventurous, make these pickles. They will LOVE you for it.
Fried Dill Pickles
from Food Network
- 1 pint sliced dill pickles, undrained
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, plus 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ c. yellow cornmeal (this is my addition and I love it!)
- Vegetable oil
- Drain pickles, reserving 2/3-cup pickle juice. Press pickles between paper towels. Combine 2/3 cup pickle juice, egg, 1 tablespoon flour, and hot sauce. Stir well and set aside.
2. Combine 1 1/2 cups flour with ground red pepper, garlic powder, salt, and paprika. Blend well.
3. Dip pickles in egg mixture, then dredge in flour mixture. Fry coated pickles in 375-degree oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Hot Pink Dipping Sauce
Recipe from Smokejack Restaurant
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 tablespoon Sriracha hot chili sauce (We used WAY more than 1/2 TBS)
In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise and the Sriracha and mix well.